Tuesday 26 November 2013

What is the main point of the bible?

Hi and welcome to this blog....If you are visiting for the first time, you are in luck....this is the first post! We will begin at the beginning....what is the main point of the Bible?

My name is Krista Penner and I grew up in Burnaby as the daughter of a pastor. I came to trust in Jesus when I was 3 because of an influential Sunday school teacher. My journey with Christ took a serious turn when I was 15 and over the subsequent years I have experienced the ebb and flow of life with Christ and the battle to die to self on a daily basis. Currently, I am privileged to serve in ministry to women for Fellowship Pacific.

The main point of the bible is complex and simple all at once. The fact that this ancient living document is without contradiction and as relevant today as when it was written, is so complex that I am in awe even as I write. The layers of the narrative found in each account tell us that we are encountering a sovereign God who cannot be simply explained and put into a box that, humanly speaking, would allow us to understand and master Him. This complex God who knew me before I was knit together in my mother’s womb, has destined me to know Him. He has purposed that in my short life I would encounter Him in all His glory and He says in His narrative that he desires to call me His friend. It would be absurd for me to assume that the main point of the bible is me. It is a nice thought, because in my humanness, I long to be the center of my universe and I would even say in all vulnerability that I long to be the center of everyone’s universe because innately, I long to be my own god and yet, along comes the bible, and God turns my human thinking upside down and reveals His greatness and explains to me that all things are from Him and through Him and to Him and that indeed, He gets all the glory and then He SIMPLY says,  “I Love you.”

Holding to the opinion that the Bible is God’s narrative and that in the midst of knowing His narrative and understanding His character I encounter my own character as in Genesis it plainly states that I am created in the image of God, I then assume that I would use what I understand about God and His plan for mankind as the plumb line for interpreting the written text. 

The challenge for any of us is to keep the main point of the bible THE MAIN POINT....easier said than done!

No comments:

Post a Comment