Thursday 15 October 2015

Perseverance: We we carry on because....

Perseverance:

Psalm 66:10-12
For you, O God, have tested us; you have tried us as silver is tried.
You brought us into the net; you laid a crushing burden on our backs;
you let men ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water;
yet you have brought us out to a place of abundance.



What it means to persevere.

Perseverance: Steadfastness in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success.


Through this year the word “perseverance” has taken on a deeper meaning for me. It is not a word that gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. As I faced a depletion of strength over the months leading up to Christmas there were many times that I just wanted to give up. I lamented to my husband that I truly wished that God had called me to eat chocolate and watch Downton Abbey on Netflix full time!

When we face emotional turmoil because of broken relationships, badly behaved parishioners, children who decide to take a break from God, physical challenges that bring on chronic pain, _____________________________ ( You fill in the blank), perseverance takes on a dark and sinister façade. When I say the word perseverance out loud I hear the root of the word, “severe”, meaning: intense, very harsh.

So why is it that God tells us to carry on? To keep going even when the load placed on our backs feels like it will crush us? These verses in Psalm 66 actually state that God brings us into a net, that God is testing us and trying us like silver in a purification process. My first and most honest reaction to this realization is “thanks, but no thanks, God, I am just fine and I take a pass”. I don’t like conflict and I don’t like discomfort. I am not on the lookout for hard challenges; I like happy events that end by eating cake! In fact, as I write this my daughter is spending two nights in the wilderness, sleeping in a hut made of snow and I cannot even wrap my head around why someone would do this on purpose! Give me a warm bed, cozy jammies, a cup of chamomile tea and the remote!

The reality is that life happens and it is hard, circumstances land in our lap that take our breath away and giving up is my default mode, but the problem with surrendering in defeat is that it does not bring about the abundance talked about in this passage. Sure, in the moment I might have lots of chocolates and two whole seasons of “Downton Abbey” to watch, but the blessing of God’s abundance would be lost.

When the writer talks about a place of abundance, the word in the Hebrew is revayah, which means saturation. In other words, a place where I will have so much that I won’t be able to absorb any more.

In the middle of my flood and fire, and the crushing burden that makes me feel like, in the words of William Wordsworth, “[1]the world is too much with us, late and soon” I hang on with hope that I will come to a place of a saturation for my soul by the One who Himself persevered through death to bring me to the place of abundance. I have discovered like the author of Psalm 66 that God’s very presence is that place.

This psalm ends with great hope for all of us.
 “Blessed be God, because he has not rejected my prayer or removed his steadfast love from me!”










[1] Wordsworth, William 1806 (Wordsworth 1806)

1 comment:

  1. Good encouragement here! I'm with you. I'd take Downton Abbey and chocolate over difficulty any day. But when we consider the end result, the difficulty is so much more productive and rewarding in the long run.

    ReplyDelete